The 28 Below Fatbike race, presented by Ridge Riders of the Black Hills, LLC and permitted by the USFS, is the Black Hills premiere fatbike race/ride/tour.
The 28 Below Fatbike race is a 50k lolly-pop loop with around 2,800 ft of climbing. It is the only race in the Black Hills that is permitted to take place on groomed snowmobile trail. The race has one aid station/mandatory checkpoint, at approximatley mile 18, where you do a short spur trail that will take you to the top of the Cement Ridge Fire Lookout. The aid station will have water and some food items. Although the race takes place in mid March, the snow conditions tend to hold in the high country of the hills. So far 2 of 3 races have been in full on, winter like conditions with temps in the low teens and full snow coverage on course. This course is challenging, and we ask that you come prepared, with some experience fatbiking in winter conditions.
Equipment and items you should be carrying:
- Bike with a minimum of 3.5" tires required, no smaller tires allowed.
- Helmet is required for all riders
- Suggested you have a warm, insulated, winter riding shoe, tennis shoes are NOT recommended
- A variety of layers for warmth and to keep dry
- A pair of warm, winter riding gloves (a pair of extra gloves as back up)
- A headlamp for emergency
- Insulated water bottles and camelback that will keep water from freezing
- A spare tube and pump, with experience fixing a flat in cold winter conditions
Thanks to great sponsors and volunteers the race has been a big success with a fun after party hosted right out of the beautiful Spearfish Canyon Lodge. Crow Peak brewery serves up free beer for all competitors, and many prizes are given out at the raffle thanks to Twin Six, Sram/Quarq, RMS, Two Wheeler Dealer, Acme Bikes, Dirt Bags, and Black Hills Vision Care! We also have some great fatire flask trophy's made by Clay Dykstra Pottery for the top finisher's as well as equal cash mens and womens for the overall winners, and a Fatbike Power Meter from our sponsors at Quarq, for the Overall fastest time on course.
The 50k lollypop loop starts and finishes at Spearfish Canyon Lodge, near Spearfish SD and follows the groomed snowmobile trails that are permitted by the USFS. The first 10k is a beautiful stretch winding up a Canyon with a mild and gentle uphill grade. The course then takes a turn into a more rolling section which eventually gets steeper and tops out at the beautiful Cement Ridge Fire Lookout, where every rider is required to check in. This is the only checkpoint/aid station on the entire course, where you will be provided with water and some food items. From here you get to do a little descending until you run into what we like to call "Schoolhouse Snowpit". This snowpit is just over a mile long and may consist of a lot of hike-a-bike, depending on snow conditions. It is the only section of the course that is not on groomed snowmobile trail. Once out of the snowpit, or Schoolhouse Gulch road, you will jump back onto snowmobile trail and back onto Roughlock falls rd, for a steady descent, which is a backtrack of the first 10k stretch you rode, and will take you back to Spearfish Canyon Lodge and the finish line.
Online Registration opens: Dec 01 2016, 7:00 am (Mountain)
Online Registration closes: Mar 11, 2017, 7:00 am (Mountain)
The race will be capped at 100 participants
*Registration and transaction fees are nonrefundable, including in the event of extreme weather or cancellation. Registration is not transferable to another person for any reason, including injury. Competing under another person’s name will result in disqualification.
- Entrance fee: Early Bird Dec.1st-31st: $55 online. After Jan.1st : $65 online, or $75 evening prior at packet pick up. Online registration closes 1 week prior to race. NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION!
- Must register before March 1st to get the free custom event T-shirt!
- All registered participants will receive a free lunch, free beers courtesy of Crow Peak Brewing, and your name entered into our raffle for some great prizes, at the awards ceremony.
- And if you're fast, a cash payout and custom trophy to the top 3 mens and womens riders!
Schedule of Events:
All events will take place at Spearfish Canyon Lodge.
Friday March 17th
- 5-7pm -Packet Pick-up at Spearfish Canyon Lodge. .
- Riders may register at Packet Pick up if they have not yet registered online for a fee of $75
- You may pick up another riders packet as long as they have signed the waiver, which may be printed off HERE
Saturday March 18th- Times of race day events have moved up to an earlier time, due to warm weather forecasted for the day (see below)
- 6:30-7:00am: Emergency only Packet Pick-up at Spearfish Canyon Lodge. You MUST contact Kristi Jewett at firstname.lastname@example.org and inform her of an emergency packet pick up! Changed to 6-6:30am for March 18th.
- 7:45am: Racer meeting in Lobby of Spearfish Canyon Lodge Changed to 6:45am for March 18th.
- 8:00am: Race Starts right outside of Spearfish Canyon Lodge. Changed to 7am on March 18th.
- 11:00am-2pm: Lunch, Music and Crow Peak Brews for all racers. Non racers may purchase food across the street at the Latch String Inn Restaurant. Drinks are available for purchase at the bar for non racers.
- 1pm or 2pm (depending on course conditions 'fast or slow'. Time will be announced prior to race start) Awards ceremony and prize raffle for all particiapants. Mus be PRESENT to WIN.
Don't have a Fatbike yet, but want to try the race? Contact these vendors below.
- Rushmore Mountain Sports of Spearfish @ 605-642-2885
- Two Wheeler Dealer of Spearfish @ 605-642-7545
- Acme Bicycles of Rapid City @ 605-343-9534